Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Reading Notes: Aesop's Fables (Jacobs), Part A

The Characters That Stood Out:

Lions

I like the role of the lion in the noble/defeated aspect. In the story with the argument about whether a man or lion is stronger, I could reverse the roles. I also like to see how the fox plays a role in many of the stories. He is also usually the one to realize that the Lion in lying to or trying to trick them. 

Foxes

I like the idea of the trickster fox having the table turned on him and being tricked back. I also like the moral of the story of "The Fox and The Grapes" that it is easy to despise what you cannot get. I also like the story about "The Fox and The Mosquitoes." It has been applied to politicians but I could maybe apply the moral of the story to something else or maybe I could rewrite the story and apply it to politicians in my own way. Distrust interested advice is the theme for "A Fox Without a Tail." I could maybe keep the theme but with different characters.

Wolves

I like the qualities of the character of the wolf. He is almost like a lion and fox mixed together. Like the wolf in "The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" I like the idea of the wolf using trickery to gain his meals. I could write a story in which the wolf uses another form of trickery to disguise himself in order to gain a meal.

Dogs and Cats

I like the character of the dog because he is greedy and selfish which can be freely and easily written into a story. The cat on the other hand, is single-minded but often to the benefit of the cat. The cat can focus on one thing and is rather self-aware. I could write a story about how the cat's focus leads him to defeat the dog or gain something that the dog wants.

Image Information: rivalry between a cat and dog. Web Source: Wikimedia Commons

Bibliography: Aesop's Fables by Joseph Jacobs; link to the reading online.

No comments:

Post a Comment