Thursday, April 6, 2017

Week 11 Story: Jemmy Dawson

Image Information: Jemmy Dawson before he turned too bad. Web Source: flickr.

Jemmy Dawson. I'll never forget that name.

I grew up with Jemmy. We were the same age and went to the same school all of our lives. Well, there's only one school around here, really. We're from a small town in Texas. And by small, I don't mean lack of wealth. Jemmy's family had lots and lots of money.

Growing up, he was an ornery kid and nobody liked him at all. I knew him but we were not friends. In fact, he was really mean to me growing up. I never really saw him bully any of the boys. Instead, it seemed to be just us girls that were the problem.

I remember he pushed me on the playground one time when we were younger. After he pushed me down, he yelled, "You ugly piece of crap! You look like a dog, Reagan!!!" Reagan, that's my name. I remember I cried so hard after he said those terrible things to me. He got sent to the Principal's office after that. Of course, he got out of it though. Jemmy's parents owned about half the town so they had a lot of power. Jemmy could get away with anything.

This only got worse as he grew older. He had friends that were boys because he was still nice to them for some reason. His verbal and physical abuse only ever happened with girls. I don't know why but that's just the way it was. He started getting more violent the older he got. By the time we got to high school, some women had made sexual assault claims against him. But before the story could spread too far, the girls would suddenly claim they were wrong. They would say that they had made a mistake. This made a lot of us very suspicious as to his parents' involvement in the situations. We all thought they must have paid them off.

He also got arrested a couple of times for physically assaulting women. But, of course, the charges were dropped against him. I remember the one time his mother was a victim of his aggression. Obviously, she didn't press any charges, but she did end up in the hospital.

I'm not sure why his parents always covered for him. Maybe it was because they wanted him to take over the family business one day. Or maybe it was the hope that he would follow in his father's footsteps and go to Harvard. If the latter was the motive, I'm sure they were very relieved when he finally got accepted to Harvard.

The town was nice and quiet when Jemmy was away at college. Women weren't afraid to go out on the town with him gone. They didn't have to worry about getting knocked out cold at a bar for no reason. I could tell that everyone felt at peace.

I thought about what might happen to the girl Jemmy married. If he ever married. Most people in the town never even thought that was a possibility. They figured no girl would be that brave or stupid, for that matter. You can imagine how everyone felt when Jemmy came back from college and announced that he was married. The whole town feared for her.

Author's Note: My original source was very short. It consisted of four lines: 

BRAVE news is come to town;
Brave news is carried;
Brave news is come to town
Jemmy Dawson's married.

From this, I interpreted that it meant that the fact that Jemmy Dawson is married was a bad thing. I gathered that it meant that whoever married Jemmy Dawson must be brave. The inspiration from my story just came from my attempts at understanding what it was that the original source meant. In order to bring better understanding, I chose to write a back-story to Jemmy Dawson. More specifically, why marrying Jemmy would be such a bad thing. I did not have much material to work with so it gave me a lot of room to be creative. I knew I wanted him to be a troublemaker. However, I decided to take it one step further and make him violent towards women and only women. I also wanted to make it even worse that he was never punished for his actions because of his parents' power and wealth. I chose the image of a young boy who appears to be very angry. I used this to portray the violence and aggression that dwells within Jemmy Dawson.

Bibliography: Nursery Rhymes-Love and Matrimony by Andrew Lang, link to the reading online.
SaveSave

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this story! Your image selection was a perfect choice for Jemmy; it captured his mean spirit so well. I love how you built upon the four lines of the original story and gave us some background as to why whoever married Jemmy would need to be so brave. I thought it was interesting how you still had him get into Harvard. I like how this parallels real life because a lot of horrible people see material success, even though their personal life is a wreck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love how you created a story from four lines. Your description of Jemmy is really great and you created his backstory so well. I felt myself getting angry at the injustice of it all, especially when it came to the sexual assaults. I wonder what kind of woman would say yes to Jemmy. Is he abusive towards her? Or has he changed? Just some things I thought about. But I really liked what you did with the story. It was interesting and engaging and you didn't need any dialogue for it. Really great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer! Wow, what a powerful story you came up with based off such a short story with a lack of detail. I liked how you included the original story in the author's note to help us understand where your ideas came from. I would also assume that Jemmy getting married is a bad thing based off the words in the original story. Your story definitely drew me in and had me wondering why Jemmy's family basically supported his bad actions. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,
    I liked how you were so imaginative in creating your story. It seemed like you really thought about the life of Jemmy Dawson and were able to bring it more to life. Great detail and depiction as well. You made me really dislike Jemmy's character with his violence towards women but also made it more understanding towards the lifestyle that he grew up with. I know I wouldn't want to be with someone like that. The picture was really cute too. Overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something big must have happened for the narrator to tell the reader that they would never forget this name. Very suspenseful!
    This does not sound like a happy story; I wonder how you’ll continue it. It was hard reading some of the descriptions because of how real and present the issues are currently. I am glad you brought this up in your story, I like you did really well. I also did a story based on a nursery rhyme, I had a lot of fun writing it. Good job!

    ReplyDelete