Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Week 8 Reflections

Image Information: a quote about fear. Web Source: flickr.

I feel like I have been making good choices when I choose my readings for the week. I really enjoyed the Japanese Fairy Tales unit. I had a lot of fun with the reading I chose to write about. I haven't quite found my niche yet with a consistent time and place to complete the readings. My reading notes have been helping me write each week but I want to start incorporating a character description section of my notes so that way I can come up with more ideas for how to write more complex characters.

I'm really excited for the Native American reading units next week. The Great Plains, Cherokee, and American Indian Tales sections caught my attention as possible readings in week 9 and 10. I'm also interested in Beowulf, Robin Hood, and English Tales for week 11 and 12. I would also really like to read some of the Brothers Grimm units in week 13 and 14.

My biggest struggle this semester has been branching out from my comfort zone with a story. I guess I have been afraid to change a story too much or to let myself be creative. I sought help and advice from Professor Gibbs and she really helped me to branch out of my comfort zone this week. I had a lot of fun letting myself be really creative with the story I wrote last week. I was really pleased with it. I will continue to follow the advice I received and let myself "go wild" with my story telling.

I would like to try and incorporate more humor and witty dialogue into my stories. I plan on using the creative storytelling link to give me inspiration on new ways to tell a story. I most admire the creativity and story telling styles of other people in the class. The only habits and tendencies I see in others' stories are a lot of typos and grammatical errors in their original draft. This is not every person but I see it somewhat often. I would like to try to avoid this by reading my story out loud before posting it.

I feel as though I have been giving other people good feedback regarding their stories. I do feel bad pointing out any typos or grammatical errors in others' stories and have refrained from doing so thus far. I guess I could start pointing those out as best I can. I can also focus on giving storytelling suggestions or ideas they can use to expand on their stories.

1 comment:

  1. I think that it would be wonderful if you pointed out typos and grammatical errors in other people's stories! I think that would help them out with things that can otherwise be overlooked at times. Reading my story out loud helps me a lot with my editing, and I highly recommend that you try it as well!

    ReplyDelete